The “5 Fold Gifts” are a topic that many pentecostals have accepted with no thought. The doctrine of the “5-Fold Ministry” is simple. It states that these gifts are all still alive and active today. The question for this week is about this issue.
The most interesting point in this for me, is that many of these words are not translations, they are transliterations. Allow me to translate a few.
Evangelist – Euaggelistes
- a bringer of good tidings, an evangelist
- the name given to the NT heralds of salvation through Christ who are not apostles
PASTOR (Not an English word)- Poimen-
- a herdsman, esp. a shepherd
- in the parable, he to whose care and control others have committed themselves, and whose precepts they follow
- the presiding officer, manager, director, of any assembly: so of Christ the Head of the church
- of the overseers of the Christian assemblies
- of kings and princes
The tasks of a Near Eastern shepherd were: – to watch for enemies trying to attack the sheep – to defend the sheep from attackers – to heal the wounded and sick sheep – to find and save lost or trapped sheep – to love them, sharing their lives and so earning their trust.
Apostle- Apostolos- a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders
- specifically applied to the twelve apostles of Christ
- in a broader sense applied to other eminent Christian teachers
- of Barnabas
- of Timothy and Silvanus
Are these gifts (Apostle, Prophet, Pastor, Teacher, and Evangelist) Still Active in the Body of Christ today?
11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 16From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.